If you’re anything like me, when you brunch you brunch to win. That means when you’re faced with the decision of choosing between a Bloody Mary or a momo (or whatever pet name you call mimosas), you choose option c) both. You also feel no shame explaining that chicken and waffles with a maple thyme glaze was the highlight of your entire weekend. And, most importantly, you don’t leave the brunch table when you’re full. You leave it when you’ve tamed your hangover, made sense of your night, taken Snapchats aplenty and consumed all of the available carbs. In short, you freaking love brunch. Here are a few of the reasons why.
- You feel classy no matter what. There is just something about brunch that feels fancy, even if it took half a can of dry shampoo and pep talk from your best friend to get you there. Perhaps it’s the dainty little champagne flutes or the sunflower centerpieces, but there is something about brunch that makes us feel like our best selves, even when we’re quite literally the opposite.
- The food options are literally doubled. Breakfast+ Lunch= Brunch which also = double the food possibilities. Sometimes when it’s 11:30 a.m. on a Sunday you want eggs benedict, while other mornings you’re fiending for a five-cheese grilled cheese. Brunch doesn’t make you choose one mealtime. Brunch understands.
- It gives you a totally acceptable way to keep drinking. The one accessory that no girl ever forgets to bring to brunch is a hangover. While the severity of said hangover may vary, the fact that at least 75% of the people at your table will have one does not. But, thankfully, brunch gives us the ultimate cure: more alcohol. It eases our pain in a way that is not only acceptable, but also delicious.
- You can stay forever. Brunch is one of those magical things where nobody has any idea how long it’s going to take. Unlike other meal times that have more structure and play by the rules of society, brunch can range anywhere from two hours to six hours and has no problem being an all-day event.
- Brunch waiters/ waitresses are the best. That’s because they know what’s up. They know that you’re going to be hungover, scream-whispering obscene things across the table and posted up for several consecutive hours. Even for all of this, your waitress might become your new best friend, as she can see the pain behind your eyes and will be a nonstop flow of alcoholic breakfast treats and silent sympathy. If you’re really lucky, she won’t openly judge you when you ask her to take that group pic of your squad. #brunchingwithmybitchez #brunch
- It’s the perfect place to try out trends. So you have this pair of sunglasses and you can’t tell if you look like Kylie Jenner or Willy Wonka. The perfect place to try this risky trend? Brunch. Need a place to wear that floppy hat that is not nearly as practical as it is cute? Brunch. Wearing an oversized sweater and leggings because that’s all you can handle? Brunch.
- It gives you a chance to corroborate your stories. While Snapchat inventing the MyStory was basically the best possible development in the fight against blackouts, there is only so much your phone can tell you about your night. That’s where brunch comes in—it gives you a chance to interview the witnesses. We often brunch with those who we went out with the night before and that’s a great thing, because you can figure out who “Brother Notre Dame red shirt” is and why you kept sending him unicorn emojis.
- It gives you a new opportunity to enjoy your favorite places. Brunch is a movement and more and more places are starting to serve it on the weekends. Unless your favorite restaurant has been hiding under a rock for the majority of 2015, odds are they have brunch and you have another reason to love them.
- It brings your Instagame to new heights. Basically all you have to do is not pick a bad filter and you’re good to go. That’s because it is a scientific fact (?) that everybody loves a good brunch pic. You can crowd source the table to help come up with a clever caption and then once you post it, you can sit back and let the likes just shower over you.
- You somehow feel accomplished. Yeah, in reality all you did was move from one location to another where you continued to sit, eat and be a sub par version of yourself, but when you get up to leave and continue with your half-speed day, you feel like you did something meaningful with your time. Give yourself a nice round of applause for crushing another successful weekend and multiple rounds of mimosas.
This article was originally published on Thought Catalog on December 5th, 2015.